|Written By:||Kazu Kibuishu|
Amulet is an ongoing graphic novel series by Kazu Kibuishi.
The story revolves around siblings, Emily and Navin, along with their mother, Karen, who have just recently moved into a lakeside mansion in the country after the death of their father. The house was previously owned be their eccentric great-grandfather, Silas Charnon (a mechanist), who spent most of his years detached from the world. Emily discovers an amulet amongst Silas's work, unbeknownst to the fact that it contains magical powers. This object serves as one of the main conflicts faced in the series. During the first night, their mother is taken hostage by a strange creature dwelling within the basement; Emily and Navin are eventually pulled into the war-torn world of Alledia in pursuit of their mother.
- Emily Hayes: Twelve-year-old daughter of Karen Hayes, and the main protagonist of the series, Emily is a natural-born leader who hasn't been the same since witnessing her father's untimely death two years ago. She has since become a serious and determined young woman, particularly in trying keep her family from falling apart. With the help of her brother Navin, she hopes to use the Amulet to make sure her beloved mother doesn't experience the same fate.
- Navin Hayes: The youngest in the Hayes family, Navin loves video games, robots, and seeing Emily laugh. He tries to be easygoing and optimistic so that his sister doesn't get too bogged down about things.
- Miskit: Known by his colleagues as the "brains" of the outfit, Miskit acted as Silas Charnon's right-hand robot for many years. He sees a lot of potential in Emily for being a stonekeeper, and makes sure that she's protected on her journey to save Karen.
- Morrie: A bit on the nervous side, Morrie has a talent for stating the obvious. Unlike Coglsey, however, Morrie has a great bedside manner, and the Charnon House crew couldn't live without him.
- Cogsley: Another of Silas's helper robots, Cogsley is a mainstay of the Charnon crew. Miskit is known to have said of the rusty old bot: "Cogsley can be a real pain in the butt, but he's also the most honest, hard-working robot I know."
- Karen Hayes: Karen is the kind-hearted single mom of Emily and Navin Hayes, who just wants the best for her kids. Worried about how her husband's death has affected them, she decides it's best to make a fresh start in the quaint town of Norlen.
- Trellis: Prince Trellis is the rebellious teenage son of the Elf King. At first, the series presents him as a potential enemy to Emily; however, Trellis later joins Emily in hopes of defeating his father.
- Elf King: The Elf King is the mysterious, masked entity and overlord, who threatens the kingdom of Alledia. As the antagonist, he has displayed a lust for power, as well as his own stone. The Elf King was one of several stonekeepers to undergo a transformation that would lead them to lay waste to Alledia. He was later imprisoned, despite his requests to be executed. Somehow, according to Prince Trellis, the stone was able to reanimate his lifeless corpse, turning him into a ruthless monster of sorts, and a mysterious war-lord.
Amulet is characterized by many steampunk influences, including giant airships, mechanical suits, and the likewise. The elves also have access to a variety of such machines and utilize them in hopes of winning all of Alledia. Heavy artillery is often used in combat, as well as mech suits to employ means of armor. Navin and Cogsley pilot Silas's mansion, which also doubles as a gigantic mech. In Kanalis, citizens are altered by a curse, a deformity that causes them to take the appearance of animals. Due to enforcement by the Elf King's army, many of the towns tend to be corrupt and very little is provided to the lower-class.